Throughout this book Louie displays varying degrees of emotional strength. The main incidents that are brought up, especially by the principal and Lednecky are his exhibitions at the football game, and Becky's funeral.
At the football game, I think that Louie was showing emotional strength. To stand up in front of a whole crowd of people and speak your mind takes a lot of resolve and courage. Not to mention swearing your mouth off at the same time. He wasn't just embarassing himself in front of a bunch of people, but he also put himself in a bad situation for the rest of the year. He lost his spot on the football team, which in his town, it appears to mean social suicide. This could be potentially disastrous because he just got himself a great girlfriend, and he was afraid that she might dump him because he wasn't a starter on the varsity football team anymore. Also, as the book went on, he was abandoned socially except for his best friends and Becky(his girlfriend). I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like a good prospect for me. Also, per the rule that the principal came up with he wasn't allowed to play sports for the rest year. But they eventually found a way around that and Louie ran track. The end result from all of this blabber is that it took a lot of resolve to do what he did.
When Louie went ballistic at Becky's funeral, I think that was definitely a moment of emotional weakness. He was completely out of control, but I think that he had a very good reason to be upset like he was. His whole life was spinning out of control and his girlfriend dying just put the final touches on his trip to insanity. Throughout the book, Louie and Becky spent a lot of time together, including a romantic trip to Becky's cabin where they spent a lot of quality time together. This emotional attachment to this person for an extended period of time, and then it being severed in such a severe manner caused an immense amount of sadness for Louie and it all came out at the church. A lot of people were mad at Louie for him ruining the funeral, but I think that he had a reason. He was one of two people in that town that could have done that, the other was Becky's father. Those other people in the town had no right to be mad at him for his outburst at the funeral.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Joey.
I love how you wrote Emotional strength and EMotional Weakness. I agree with both of them too. They were very good points. I agree how he was strong to stand up to all the football guys and even with the risk of loosing Becky. And i do this is wasnt a good idea for his little speach at the funeral but i also think he was strong to do that, I mean it was in a chruch in front of everyone. But I liked this blog, it showed good opinions.
Koop.
Thanks! In my opinion there is physical strength and emotional strength, and emotional strength is the more important of the two, because in order to be physically strong you have to be emotionally strong and not vice-versa. Many of the things that Louie did required vast amounts of emotional strength as I mentioned. But at the same time there was a lot of emotional weakness being displayed.
Post a Comment